Old Fashioned Caramel Cake

This recipe comes from Random Thoughts of a Supermom.


Cake
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1/4 cup of milk
2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter in an electric mixer. Add sugar. Cream together until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Mix sour cream and milk in a small bowl. Combine dry ingredients in another small bowl. Alternately add in the dry ingredients and sour cream mixture…start and end with dry ingredients. Stir in vanilla. Bake 350 for 30-35 in a two 8' round prepared pan. I recommend lining the pans with parchment paper. After the cake has cooled, cut each cake round into two pieces...or more it you can. The thinner the layers the better.



Caramel Icing

3 cups sugar, divided
¾ milk
1 egg beaten
½ cup butter

Add ½ cup sugar in sauce pan {I used a cast iron skillet}. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sugar melts and is golden brown. Combine sugar, milk, beaten egg, and then stir in butter. Slowly add the mixture into the melted sugar. Cook over medium heat until 230 degrees on a candy thermometer. This step should take about 15-20 minutes. Cool the icing for 5 minutes then beat with wooden spoon....I actually put the icing into my mixer and beat it with the whisk attachment for a few minutes. When you ice the cake it, it will pour over the sides a little. Scoop it up off the plate and put it back on top until it begins to harden.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this caramel cake looks divine! I will put it on my list of things to try. My great-grandmother used to make it! Please do let me know how you like my Lime Cake if you end up trying it! We love the Peeps cake. Isn't it cute? And Kendra's Lemon Bars :) Thanks so much for the links! ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete