1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup butter
1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup warm water
2 egg yolks
5 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 egg, beaten
1. In a small saucepan, heat milk until hot, but not boiling; mix in 1/2 cup sugar, salt, lemon zest, and butter. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. In a small bowl, mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 cup water; stir into milk. Beat in 2 eggs and egg yolks. Mix in 3 cups flour. Cover, and let rise in a warm place.
2. Mix in the raisins and nuts. Gradually mix in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl, cover, and set aside to rise.
3. This makes two loaves, so divide dough into halves. For each half, divide and roll into 3 balls. Roll each ball out into a thick log, braid, and tuck the ends under. Place both loaves on large cookie sheets, and set aside to rise one more time.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Brush beaten egg over the dough. It gives a shine to it.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
6. Frost with a dusting of powdered sugar.
I Love Comments...
Please leave a comment if you try something. I would love to hear what you think.