- 2 Red Peppers, chopped
- 1 can of beans of your choice (red, black, black-eyed peas, navy, etc.)
- 4 stalks Celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth (low-sodium)
- 1 tsp each Cayenne, Tabasco, Cumin, and Oregano to taste
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt
- Optional: 1 tea. liquid smoke
Cook rice according to package directions.
Heat oil in a large nonstick pan. Saute the onions and celery for 10 minutes over medium-high heat, adding the garlic after 5 minutes.
Add the peppers and spices and cook for 2 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Add the beans and vegetables to the rice pan, stir once to mix thoroughly, and adjust the heat to keep it at a simmer. Put the lid back on and cook until warmed through.
Turn off the heat without taking off the lid, and let sit for at least five minutes. Then fluff with a fork and serve.
Recipe adapted from the one at Bob's Red Mill.