Upside-down Tamale Pie


I saw this at Petra School and thought that it looked like an interesting way to use up some leftovers and so I planned tacos and chili in our menu this week so I could try this recipe with the leftovers.
Oh, my! I was surprised at just how good this is! It is now my son, Sam's FAVORITE dinner! It reminds me of a tamale pie my mother used to make, but it is even better! The cornbread compliments the meat-bean mixture topping perfectly. You should go over to Petra School and see the original recipe written out by her Grandma Ruth! I have changed it slightly here.


Cornbread:
1/2 cup sifted unbleached white flour (We actually used a gluten-free flour mix and it worked fine.)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced parsley or chives (We didn't have any of this so I added 1 tsp. taco seasoning.)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tbs oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a skillet or dutch oven and put it in the oven while it preheats.
Pour batter into a hot skillet or muffin tin. Bake 20-25 minutes. Switch oven to 350 and bake 5 mins.

Topping: Mix leftover taco meat with either leftover chili or a can of your favorite chili and reheat.

Serve: Place a slice of cornbread on a plate and spoon the taco meat-chili combination on top. Add a dollop of sour cream or grated cheese. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions or jalapeno slices, if desired. Oh, yum!

1 comment:

  1. That looks really yummy- and the mister loves corn bread so I bet it would be a hit. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments...

Please leave a comment if you try something. I would love to hear what you think.

Thank You!

Top 10 Homeschool Homemaking and Recipe Blogs

Best Homemaking and Recipes Blog