Friday's Flowers: The Tiger Lilly




Inspired by FIMBY.
The orange Lilly is a Tiger Lilly. I cannot see a Tiger Lilly without thinking of the summer that my daughter fell in love with Tiger Lillies. She had to have one to plant in our yard. We went to a dozen nurseries and none of them had one. At the last one the lady said with a snobby air, "We don't sell those; you can find those just on the side of the road." I pictured myself digging up a Tiger Lilly on the side of the road, cars whizzing by and then, across the field, comes the owner of the land, shotgun in hand. We left, and on the way home I remembered that a neighbor-friend has beautiful Tiger Lillies in her yard. We stopped by there and she graciously said we could have some of hers, and she even dug some up for us. We planted them next to our backyard pond, and the ones in the picture are from that bunch. In closing, I want to share with you something I found about this flower...
"There is an old legend from Asia about the Tiger Lily. A Korean hermit helped a wounded tiger by removing an arrow from its body. The tiger asked the hermit to use his powers to perpetuate their friendship after his death. The hermit agreed and when the tiger died, his body became a tiger lily. Eventually the hermit drowned and his body was washed away. The Tiger Lily spread everywhere searching for its friend. " -The Flower Expert

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments...

Please leave a comment if you try something. I would love to hear what you think.

Thank You!

Top 10 Homeschool Homemaking and Recipe Blogs

Best Homemaking and Recipes Blog